The Benefits of Hiring a Mankato Personal Injury Lawyer
One of the most common questions for people involved in an automobile accident is if there’s really any benefit to hiring an injury lawyer. In most cases, you’ll actually be able to get an increased settlement from your insurance company by working with a lawyer. The most important thing is that you at least know what kind of situation you’re getting into if you decide to work with your insurer without the aid of a lawyer. Settling directly with an insurance company is a mistake, especially if you haven’t consulted with an experienced lawyer before hand.
The Insurance Company Isn’t Looking Out For You – But We Are!
When a person negotiates directly with an insurance company, they are at a severe disadvantage. Insurance companies are in the business of managing and settling losses. That means these companies are working for the benefit of its shareholders to maximize their profits. Paying out on claims is an expense they have to minimize to be profitable. Unfortunately, insurance companies aren’t going to do you any favors. And this unfortunately sometimes includes denying people’s claims who are injured through no fault of their own.
The insurance company is not on your side. If you don’t have a lawyer, then no one is protecting your interest against the insurance company. An insurer is steadily trying to whittle down your claim amount. From the moment your accident gets reported, the insurance adjusters attempt to make sure that they pay out as little as possible on your claim. The claims that the insurance companies pay out when lawyers are involved are far higher than the ones that are paid out when you handle the case on your own.
You Want A Lawyer Who Can Negotiate For You!
Personal injury lawyers are trained to negotiate fair and reasonable settlements with insurance companies. This comes from years of experience dealing with insurance adjusters and knowing the expected claim amounts from various cases. Lawyers are also prepared to take insurance companies to court if required. Some people are concerned about lawsuits and might be hesitant about being called to testify in a court of law. The good news is that very few cases actually go to court. As a matter of fact, about 95% of all lawsuits are settled before they even go to trial. The chances of you having to testify in court are small.
But a lawsuit is often necessary to maximize the settlement value needed to reimburse your losses. Accidents have expenses associated with making things whole again, so it’s important that you’re fully compensated for all of your expenses. Your personal attorney can also negotiate your medical bills, outstanding liens as well as any accident-related expenses. This will give you some financial breathing room until your case is resolved. It’s important that you don’t have to pay out of pocket expenses while waiting for your insurance settlement. Lawyers are instrumental in helping find a suitable solution for each person’s particular case. And once you hire a lawyer, all communications with the insurance company will go through them. This saves you the stress of having to negotiate with possibly unfriendly insurers.
A Lawyer Can Provide Guidance For Your Case.
The complexities of personal injury law in Minnesota can also make it very tough for the average person to fully understand the law. In serious personal injury cases, insurance adjusters often recommend to the injured party that they seek the advice of an injury lawyer to fully understand all of their options. A lawyer can evaluate your insurance policy and help maximize the benefit that is paid out. Lawyers also can provide recommendations on medical providers who are best able to help treat your injuries.
Questions To Ask A Potential Personal Injury Lawyer.
If you’ve been involved in an accident, here are some questions to ask when looking for a law firm to represent you.
- Does the law firm have any experience handling this type of case? Specialization is important in the law just as it is in medicine. If a law firm specializes in workers compensation and personal injury cases, you know you’re talking to the right firm. If they don’t have personal injury experience, maybe they’re not the right law firm for you.
- Do they have trial lawyers who litigate cases? If a fight is needed, you want lawyers who have experience going to trial. You want to hire a personal injury lawyer who has a good reputation for success in the courtroom. Not only do you want someone you can get advice from in your corner, but you also want the insurance company to respect that your lawyer will litigate if needed.
- If you have any questions or concerns, are you going to be able to talk to an attorney? You don’t want an experience where you’re diverted to a legal assistant, paralegal or someone else who’s not as well trained in the law.
- Inquire as to what their strategy of attack will be. Make sure it sounds practical that a settlement can be reached within your desired time frame.
- Ask what the fee structure is. Most personal injury lawyers work on what’s called a contingency basis. This means that there is no money paid up front to hire a personal injury attorney.
It’s also a good idea to solicit recommendations from your personal network of friends and family members when trying to decide upon an attorney. Once you’ve narrowed down your choice, you’ll want to contact them to schedule an initial consultation.
Whether or not you hire a personal injury lawyer is your decision. But consulting with a lawyer to realize the full potential of your claim can only improve your chances of achieving a fair settlement value. If you’ve been involved in an accident, please contact our law firm for a consultation.