Prostitution has been referred to as “the oldest profession” because history shows that it goes back a long way. It has existed around the world, but it is illegal in most places around the United States. It is either regulated or criminalized. In Minnesota, it is criminalized, which means a person who is arrested for any act associated with prostitution can be convicted of a crime that follows them around for the rest of their lives.
If you have been charged with prostitution, it is very important to secure the representation of a skilled and experienced Mankato criminal defense lawyer. With the right representation, you can obtain the best possible result in your case, which is very important when you are facing a charge that could influence the rest of your life.
Aggressive Defense Against Prostitution Charges
Prostitution can be charged as a felony. Gross misdemeanors and misdemeanors tend to be common, depending on the act. Here are some of the prostitution charges that people are charged with in Minnesota:
- Engaging or agreeing to engage in an act of prostitution – This generally is a misdemeanor unless an individual has committed the crime within the previous two years.
- Prostitution in a public place – This is a gross misdemeanor because the act occurred in a public place rather than a private one.
- Loitering with the intent to prostitute – This type of prostitution can be more difficult for the prosecution to prove. This is because loitering laws have brought about some constitutional issues. It is said that these laws have unfairly targeted individuals because the behavior of the suspects is open to interpretation.
- Hiring a minor to engage in prostitution – If a person hires or even agrees to hire a minor to engage in prostitution, the charge is an automatic felony.
- Promotion of prostitution – If the act of prostitution is promoted or induced in any way, a person can be charged with a felony. This applies more to “pimps.”
A Powerful Advocate In Your Corner
There are many factors that go into a prostitution charge, such as age, the role they actually played in the crime, and where the crime took place. These factors can be used to prosecute you, but they can also be used to defend you. Your southern Minnesota criminal defense lawyer, through a good defense strategy and a cooperative effort with you, can help secure a much better result than what you might receive without an experienced defense attorney by your side.
Contact A Mankato Criminal Defense Attorney
Prostitution is a very serious crime. It is one in which the solicitors, the customers, and anyone facilitating the act can be arrested and charged with a crime. In Minnesota, prostitution has been on the radar of police for quite some time. Even if a person is perceived to be committing any act of prostitution, they can be arrested. If you have been accused of this crime, it is important to hire a criminal attorney who knows the law and who will use it and the facts to secure the best results for you. To learn more about your rights and options, call Farrish Johnson Law Office, CHTD at 507-625-2525 to schedule a free consultation.
View all Criminal Defense Legal Services