Joseph A. Gangi
Susan Kolbinger assists Joe in the various areas of his practice. In addition to her service to the clients of Farrish Johnson, Susan is a member of the South Central College Advisory Board for Office Administration and Technology and a member of the Sixth District Ethics Committee. To make an appointment with Joe, please contact Susan by email or phone at 507-344-2451.
Kelli Christianson is a certified paralegal and works with the attorneys in the litigation department on complex litigation files.
Joseph Gangi is a general litigation attorney where he represents individuals and small businesses in a wide variety of legal matters. Joseph works in the areas of employment litigation, discrimination, business litigation, contract disputes, landlord tenant, negligence, administrative law, zoning, criminal defense, and just about any other area where there is a dispute that needs resolving. Joseph is committed to providing client-centered representation where he works closely with his clients and involves them from beginning to end. Some representative cases include:
- In re Matter of Temporary Suspension of Family Day Care License of Amy Benck, (OAH) (successful appeal of daycare license revocation and dismissal of maltreatment case).
- Johnson v. Nibbe (Minn. D. Ct.) (Blue Earth County) ($220,000 jury verdict in wrongful death case)
- Shephard v. Sinclair (Minn. D. Ct.) (Redwood County) (successful summary judgment dismissal of personal injury/negligence case brought against a landlord)
- Kluender v. Farmers State Bank, (Minn. D. Ct.) (Faribault County) (successfully halted foreclosure sale of family farm).
- Hendricks v. Macrafic, (Minn. D. Ct.) (Blue Earth County) (successfully put school board chair back on the ballot).
Joseph is also an experienced appellate attorney, having clerked as a staff attorney for the federal Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals in Atlanta, GA, and for two judges on the Minnesota Court of Appeals, Matthew Johnson and Terri Stoneburner. Joseph has turned his appellate court-work experience into a successful appellate practice. Some representative cases include:
- Young v. Wal-Mart Associates, Inc., No. A14-0649 (Minn. App. Aug. 20, 2014) (order opinion) (successful appeal of denial of unemployment benefits and granting additional evidentiary hearing).
- Lenway v. Brown, No. A14-1265, 2015 WL 1281113 (Minn. App. Mar. 23, 2015) (successful appeal reversing modification of parenting time).
- Anderson v. Carlson, No. A15-1443, 2016 WL 764615 (Minn. App. Feb. 29, 2016) (successful defense and dismissal of appeal involving a frivolous litigant).
- Back v. State, 883 N.W.2d 614 (Minn. App. 2016) (successful appeal in case involving compensation to wrongfully convicted person; part of statute declared unconstitutional thereby allowing client to petition for compensation).
- Successful appeal to university of no-credit grade decision.
Joseph was born and raised in St. Paul and has deep roots in Southern Minnesota. He is a 2009 graduate of the University of Wisconsin Law School where his superior academic achievement earned him a place in the honorary law society, the Order of the Coif. Joseph is a veteran of the U.S. Army, holds three U.S. patents, and is dedicated to serving the needs of the community. In his free time, Joseph enjoys curling, playing piano and viola, and spending time with his family. His unique background, experience, and accomplishments bring a new perspective and a practical approach to the practice of law, making him a Mankato attorney who is a powerful asset to the firm.
- American Legion
- Greater Mankato Growth Young Professionals
- Volunteer pianist at local senior centers
- Mankato Curling Club, Member
- Habitat for Humanity of South Central Minnesota, President
- J.D., 2009, University of Wisconsin Law School (magna cum laude)
- B.S., 2005, University of Phoenix (with Honors)
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
Professional Associations and Honors
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- 6th District Bar Association
- Wisconsin State Bar Association
- American Bar Association Advisory Panel (Past Member)
- Order of the Coif
- Selected for inclusion on the Minnesota Rising Stars list (2016)
- North Star Lawyers Award from the Minnesota State Bar Association for commitment to pro bono service (2013, 2014, 2015)