Jim grew up on a dairy farm in northern Nicollet County and has lived in Saint Peter since 1974. He received his undergraduate degree from Augustana University, Sioux Falls, South Dakota, in 1971; and received his law degree from the University of Arkansas in 1974. Jim has maintained a general practice of law in St. Peter since 1978 and has served as City Attorney for the cities of St. Peter and Kasota since 1992.
Jim has been actively involved in Saint Peter youth sports, enjoys sports of all types and continues to enjoy pick-up basketball.
- Past President – St. Peter Jaycees
- Past President – St. Peter Lions Club
- Graduated Augustana College, Sioux Falls, S.D., Cum Laude with a B.A. in Political Science
- Graduated University of Arkansas – Juris Doctor in 1974
- Supreme Court of State of Minnesota – 1974
- Supreme Court of State of Arkansas – 1974 (Inactive)
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota – 1983
- Sixth District Bar Association Member
- Minnesota State Bar Association 1974 to present
- Saint Peter City Attorney 1992 – Present
- Kasota City Attorney 1992 – Present
- Assistant Nicollet County Examiner of Titles