Call 507-625-2525

child support

What is a Recognition of Parentage?

A Recognition of Parentage (“ROP”) is a document signed by non-married parents of a child. Often, this form is signed at the hospital after the birth of the child, and it is then filed with the Minnesota Department of Health, Office of Vital Records. A ROP establishes a legal relationship between a child and the father, and it is an informal process that does not involve going to court. Moreover, it allows the father’s name to be on the birth certificate and it creates certain legal rights and responsibilities for the father, mother, and child. A ROP can be filled...
Read More