Call 507-625-2525


Legal News in Minnesota
Personal Injury Farrish Johnson

Custody Rights of Unmarried Fathers in Minnesota

I often receive phone calls from fathers who are frustrated that they cannot see their children because the mother keeps changing her plans or will only let fathers see the children when it is convenient for the mother. Almost daily I hear, “Well, I signed the Recognition of Parentage and birth certificate, how can she do this?”

This is because signing the Recognition of Parentage (otherwise known as “ROP,” i.e., a certificate you sign after the birth of a child) is not enough in Minnesota. Minnesota law mandates for fathers to obtain formal rights for parenting time and custody, fathers must ask the court. Otherwise, mothers are within 100% of their rights to not allow fathers to see their children altogether.

Call me, Andy Moeller, at Farrish Johnson Law Office today at 507-625-2525 or email me to start the process of acquiring your custody and parenting rights for your children.